Pomegranates are in the fruit family and the juice of the fruit has gotten a reputation as a “superfood” because of all the health benefits the fruit and juice have to offer. Pomegranate juice has been shown to be effective in promoting heart health. It lowers the “bad” cholesterol (LDL) which, in turn, reduces plaque build-up in the arteries, decreases blood pressure and increased blood flow to your heart.
One study at UCLA reported that pomegranate juice has the highest antioxidant capacity when compared to wine, tea, and other commercial juices.
In addition to its antioxidant properties, it is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B-5, folate, potassium, and vitamin K. The juice also contains anthocyanins, which are found in blueberries and alcai. These antioxidants have been praised for their effectiveness in lowering cardiovascular disease risks, preventing aging and neurological disorders, and preventing bacterial infections and inflammation
Pomegranate juice is also great for men’s health. It protects against prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction, because of its ability to improve blood flow.
Another great benefit of pomegranate juice is that it can slow down the aging process and is beneficial in maintaining the elasticity and health of your skin. The juice also has the ability to control diabetes.
Some great ways to incorporate the juice into your nutrition plan are:
• Drink a glass of it, straight up. It is a tart juice, so adding a few teaspoons of sugar or other sweetener can help take the tang out of it.
• Add a few tablespoons in a glass of water to make for a refreshing drink.
• Freeze them and use them as ice or as popsicles.
• Pomegranate juice makes for a great base for smoothies.
• Make pomegranate syrup by simmering the juice over medium heat and using it over pancakes or ice cream.
• It is a great alternative to vinegar in homemade salad dressings.
• It gives BBQ sauce a fruity flavor and pairs well with smoky, spicy flavors for a great homemade BBQ sauce.
© 1997 - 2017 LosingWeight.com. All rights reserved.